WORK ZONE SAFETY FACTS & STATISTICS
- One work zone fatality every 7 hours (3 a day).
- One work zone injury every 12 minutes (123 a day).
- One work zone crash every 4 minutes (315 a day).
- Financial loss of $3 billion from work zone crashes.
- In the five years between 1999 and 2003 work zone fatalities increased from 872 to 1,028 annually.
- 85 percent of those killed are drivers or occupants.
- 15 percent of fatalities occur to non-motorists (workers, pedestrians, and bicyclists).
- 100 workers are killed in work zones each year.
- Last year more than 40,000 people were injured in work zone crashes.
- Over 115,000 work zone crashes annually.
- Last year 230 fatalities involved large trucks.